Welcome to the Maine - Haiti Connection blog - to keep you up to date on our current activity.

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Video Update



Day four found me on the shoreline at 5:30 am waiting for the sun to break the crest of the horizon. A brilliant red glow painted fishing boats as young boys pulled their nets to check the evening catch. It was special to hear the morning awake around me, a dog barking in the near distance, the call of a rooster, voices beginning to fill the air as people made their way out onto the streets. I am so blessed to be able to catch the sights and sounds of the Haitian morning with my camera.
After breakfast and our morning devotion we headed to a local village in the country side. My camera was at my side – literally as we made our way thru the Haitian streets.
Cameras tend to draw attention in this part of the world – and not in a positive way. Many times I caught a nasty stare or was verbally scolded for stealing the image of someone’s life or their surroundings. It’s understandable – it must be hard enough to live the life in reality – let along seeing a foreigner try to etch it in the archives of video forever. But that’s what I do, and I need to bring a part of Haiti home for everyone else to see, to feel and to understand. I was able to capture great images of our team at work, see to the elderly, visiting children, handing out crocs and observing the structures and lives that have been change as a result of sponsor programs like that at FEFC. Day five was more of the same – beautiful rides through the country, capturing the beautiful smiles of small children and listening to the beautiful hearts of the pastors that serve these communities.
I spent the remainder of the day shooting interviews with team members and our host Pat. It is very special to hear how this mission has affected each person’s life so differently.
How the love of Jesus and fellow man is the common thread. I can’t wait to bring this story home to share with everyone.

Love in HIS grace to all
Andy

1 comment:

  1. It is great to hear the story you have so far. Looking forward to hearing more about it. The photos are great. I'll pray divine protection over your cameras.

    ReplyDelete